LIC Jeevan Umang (T-845) – All details with calculators and examples
LIC’s Jeevan Umang (T-845) – All details with premium, maturity and benefit calculators with examples. LIC Jeevan Umang (T-845) is a versatile, ‘with profit whole life plan’ which has several benefits of erstwhile popular plan Jeevan Tharang (T 178). Off late, this plan has gained immense popularity owing to its innovative benefit pattern. The advantage of the Jeevan Umang plan is that it offers a life long, guaranteed, pension/annuity and increasing insurance cover to the policyholder and that too without any tax liability on pension amount.
LIC has withdrawn Jeevan Umang with plan number 845 with effect from 31/01/2020 and has reintroduced it as Jeevan Umang (Plan 945). Read complete details of Jeevan Umang (plan 945).
In the current economic scenario, bank interest rates are getting reduced day by day and nobody is willing to offer any guaranteed interest rates for long periods. On the other hand, LIC has taken a bold step by offering guaranteed annual survival benefits at the rate of 8% of Sum Assured, after the premium paying term, till 100 years of age.
Insurance coverage and surrender value of the plan increases steadily after the premium paying term, providing high insurance coverage and liquidity at a higher age. Even though LIC would like to keep the maturity at 100 years of age, the policyholder can surrender the plan earlier if he requires money earlier.
Eligibility Conditions and Restrictions
|Eligibility conditions and main features|
|1||Minimum Age At Entry||90 days (completed)|
|2||Maximum Age At Entry||55 years for 15 year premium period|
|50 years for 20 year premium period|
|45 years for 25 year premium period|
|40 years for 30 year premium period|
|3||Age at maturity||100 years|
|4||Minimum Sum Assured||2,00,000|
|5||Sum Assured Multiples||25,000|
|6||High sum assured rebate|
|2,00,000 – 4,75,000||Nil|
|5,00,000 – 9,75,000||1.25 / 1000 SA|
|10,00,000 – 24,75,000||1.75 / 1000 SA|
|25,00,000 and above||2.00 / 1000 SA|
|7||Premium modes available||Yearly, Half Yearly, Quarterly and|
Monthly(NACH and SSS)
|8||Survival Benefit / pension||Paid every year after premium paying term|
at the rate of 8% of sum assured (paid annually)
|9||Maturity||Sum Assured along with Bonus and|
Final Additional Bonus paid at maturity.
|10||Whole life coverage||Insurance Coverage equal to sum Assured|
plus Bonus and FAB will be available up to 100
years of age.
|11||Accident Cover||Can opt from Accident benefit or Accidental death|
and disability rider.
LIC Jeevan Umang T-845 – online Premium, Insurance, and Benefit Calculator
Jeevan Umang – Calculator is a powerful online tool that can help you to get a clear idea of the premium, maturity benefit, surrender value and insurance coverage of this whole life pension plan.
If you are unable to view the calculator on this page please use the links provided below.
|Premium and Maturity Calculators – LIC’s Jeevan Umang (Plan-845)|
|Premium Calculator – Jeevan Umang||Maturity and Benefit Calculator – Jeevan Umang|
LIC Jeevan Umang T-845 -Important points to remember
- LIC’s Jeevan Umang is a non-linked, with profit whole life assurance plan. This means that it is not directly linked to share market and insurance coverage is available throughout life. As it is a with-profit plan, it will be eligible for a bonus declared by LIC at the time of maturity.
- Premium paying term can be selected from 15, 20, 25 and 30 years.
- Guaranteed survival benefits at the rate of 8% of Sum Assured will be available annually after completion of the premium paying term till maturity or death whichever is earlier.
- Death benefit equal to Sum Assured + Bonus + final additional bonus and shall be available throughout life.
- Maturity benefit at the age of 100 includes Sum Assured + Bonus + Final Additional Bonus.
- Simple Reversionary Bonus for Jeevan Umang is available only up to premium paying term. After that, the bonus rate for the plan will be at a special Differential Rate (DB-Differential Bonus).
- Income tax rebate u/s 80C is available for the premium paid. You can use this Online Income Tax Calculator to calculate your income liability.
- Maturity benefit and guaranteed survival benefit (@ 8% of Sum Assured ) is exempted from income tax liability u/s 10(10d) of the Income-tax act.
Read more :
Latest Bonus Rates of Jeevan Umang
Simple reversionary bonus rates (applicable during premium paying term)
The simple reversionary bonus rates of the plan as per the latest valuation are given below.
|Jeevan Umang Bonus Rates 2019 – 2020|
|Age at Entry||Bonus During Premium Paying Term|
|15 Years||20 Years||25 Years||30 Years|
These bonus rates are applicable only during the premium paying term of the policy.
Differential bonus rates of Jeevan Umang policy.
Differential bonus rates applicable after the premium paying term have not been declared by the Life Insurance Corporation of India yet. So we cannot accurately calculate the maturity benefit of the plan. But we can estimate the expected rates as per the benefit illustration @ 8% scenario provided by LIC of India.
Read more on benefit illustration and how it can be used to estimate the expected rates of Jeevan Umang here.
LIC Jeevan Umang policy T-845- Example of benefits.
In order to get a clear idea of the benefits of LIC’s Jeevan Umang plan, let us take an example of a person with the following details and assume that he is purchasing a 10 lakh sum assured policy.
|Plan Details Considered For Illustration|
|Total Premium Paid||14,73,645|
Please note: Illustration shown here is just an example to understand the benefits of Jeevan Umang Policy, If you want to know the actual benefits as per your details, please use the Jeevan Umang Calculator provided above.
Likely possibilities after taking Jeevan Umang plan (as per our example)
- Policyholder survives the term of 25 years and receives the guaranteed survival benefit
- Receives the maturity at the age of 100 years
- Death occurs in the period of receiving guaranteed survival Benefit
- Death occurs during the premium paying term
- Death occurs due to an accident
Let us have a look at these scenarios one by one.
1. Policyholder survives the term of 25 years and receives the guaranteed survival benefit
Guaranteed survival benefits of Rs.1,00,000 per annum shall be payable yearly for the next 60 years as the policyholder will be at the age of 40 years at the end of the premium paying term.
In this illustration, the differential bonus rates shown are as per the benefit illustration at 8% scenario.
2. Receives the maturity at the age of 100 years
If the policyholder survives up to the age of 100 he will be eligible for a benefit of Sum Assured + Bonus +Final Addition bonus. In our case, he is eligible for a return of Rs.1,66,81,250* at current rates of bonus and differential bonus as per the 8% scenario of benefit illustration provided by LIC.
3. Death occurs in the period of receiving guaranteed survival Benefit
Death coverage includes Sum assured + Bonus + Final Additional Bonus
4. Death occurs during the premium paying term
Death coverage includes Sum assured + Bonus + Final Additional Bonus (if any) during the premium paying period
5. Death occurs due to an accident
In case of an unfortunate event of death occurring due to an accident, additional benefits are payable, if and only if (1) the optional accident benefit rider is taken at the time of the policy (2) death occurs during the premium paying term. Two types of accident benefit riders are available under the Jeevan Umang policy.
- LIC’s Accident benefit rider
If death occurs due to an accident an additional sum assured will be paid. Premium required for this rider is Rs .50 per thousand (sum assured) accident coverage opted for.
- LIC’s Accidental death and disability benefit rider.
Here accidental death coverage equal to additional Sum Assured will be available in case accidental death. Survival benefits at the rate of 10% of Sum Assured for a period of 10 years (or maturity whichever is earlier) also shall become payable in case of an accidental disability.
*The benefit illustrations shown above are just for understanding the basic details of the plan. Please go through the LIC web site for more details. Simple Reversionary Bonus for Jeevan Umang is available only up to premium paying term. After that, the bonus rate available will be at a special differential rate (DB-Differential Bonus).
Anish L J is a ‘Financial Planner’ and member of Chartered Insurance Institute(CII), London and Insurance Institute of India. He is also a finance, insurance and software consultant. He thoroughly follows the developments in finance, insurance, and other related sectors.